The aim of the Physical Education is to engender the lifelong love of physical activity and sport. Our goal is to develop confidence and competence in a broad range of physical activities, this will aid the pupils with the benefits associated with increased physical activity, these can range from benefits in physical and mental health and improved attainment. In a time of increasingly sedentary lifestyles it is vital we instil life changing habits into the next generation. The PE and Games curriculum is designed to ensure that it is accessible to all students. In all years pupils study a range of topics that are relevant to the students and themselves and also link to the school’s history and traditions. The nature of a language means that key terminology and vocabulary are regularly revisited throughout all years. This, combined with the retrieval practice exercises that take place each lesson ensure that key terms and vocabulary are important parts of the curriculum.
Our curriculum is split into the following areas:
- Perform in a range of progressive situations to apply the skills taught in order to outwit and overcome opponents or challenging situations. Develop their own tactical ideas to overcome opponents.
- Use effective teamwork, leadership and cooperation in team situations to overcome opponents.
- Students will be taught the key skills and teaching points for the activities being delivered.
- Select and apply skills in closed and open situations.
- Scaffold on skills, technique and tactics year on year.
- Understand the role that fitness has in improving performance
- Learn and apply the correct teaching points
- Self and peer assess
- Use ICT to analyse and improve own and others work
- Receive high quality feedback to assist with analysis
- Develop skills in lessons and games sessions.
- Attend squad training sessions delivered by appointed member of the PE department.
- Receive additional coaching from external specialist coaches.
- Develop technical and tactical knowledge.
- Develop position/role specific skills
- Instil the values of sportsmanship, respect and resilience through physical activity and sport.
- The department places a strong emphasis on respect, dedication and commitment and this is a theme that will run through all P.E., Games lessons and extra-curricular activities.